Mt. Cho Oyu (8,201 m.) was climbed by Austrian team in 1954 A. D. It is approx. 30 KM west of Mt. Everest at the head of the Gokyo valley. The first climbing was done via north-west ridge through Tibet side route from the Nagpa – La – not strictly a legal route.
Route follow for trekking: Kathmandu – Lukla – Phakding – Namche Bazaar – Dolle – Gokyo Lake – Mt. Cho Oyu Base Camp
First Attempt for Cho Oyu climbing: 1952 AD (unsuccessful)
Attempted by: Eric Shipton and Tom Bourdillon (organized and financed by the Joint Himalayan Committee of Great Britain)
Successful Attempt for Cho Oyu climbing: October 19, 1954 AD (successful)
Attempted by: Herbert Itchy, Joseph Jöchler and Sherpa Pasang Dawa Lama of an Austrian expedition
Cho Oyu was the fifth 8000 meter peak to be climbed, after Annapurna in June 1950, Mount Everest in May 1953, Nanga Parbat in July 1953 and K2 in July 1954.
Facts of the Expedition
Duration: 45 Days
Trek type: Camping
Max Altitude: 8,201 m
Minimum Pax: 1 +
Mode of travel: Land/Flight
Arrival in Kathmandu Airport and transfer to hotel(1350m). Stay overnight at Hotel in Kathmandu.
Preparation day meeting with Climbing Sirdar, Visa processing.
Preparation planning and briefing meeting with Climbing Sirdar.
Drive from Kathmandu to Syprubeshi (1460 m). Stay overnight at tea house accommodation.
Drive from Syprubeshi to Kerung Height(3200 m). Stay overnight at hotel accommodation.
Drive from Kerung height to Tingri (4,348 m). Stay overnight at hotel accommodation.
Drive from Shigatse to Tingri (4,350 m). Stay overnight at Hotel.
Rest day at Tingri for acclimatization. The climbing Sirdar will take you up to a (5000m) hill for acclimatization after breakfast.
After breakfast drive from Tingri to the Chinese base camp (4800 m) which takes around two-hour drive. Stay overnight at camping accommodation.
Rest and acclimatization at Chinese base camp (4800 m). To arrange yaks to go to advanced base camp via middle camp.
Trek from Chinese Base Camp to Middle Camp (5300 m) along the 4x4 track. Stay overnight at camping accommodation.
Trek from Middle Camp to the ABC (5700 m) of Cho Oyu. Stay overnight at camping accommodation.
Climbing Period – Summit Cho-Oyu (8201 m)
Dismantling to middle camp than drive to Tingri(4,348 m). It takes around 4 hours trekking and 6 hours drive. Stay overnight at hotel accommodation.
Drive from Tingri to Kerung Height (3200 m). Stay overnight at tea house accommodation.
Early in the morning drive from Kerung height to Kerung boarder and then drive to Kathmandu. Stay overnight at hotel in Kathmandu.
Free day in Kathmandu and Nepalese cultural program with farewell dinner in the evening.
Transfer to airport for final departure
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu as per itinerary.
- Transportation Kathmandu-Kerung-Kathmandu.
- Chinese custom clearances at the border
- Chinese Government Royalty for Cho-Oyu Expedition for Group and climbing Sherpa guide.
- Chinese visa for climbing period, both base camp staff, Sirdar and climbing group;
- TMA or CTMA selected English speaking Chinese liaison officer and interpreter
- All camping equipment in Base camp and Advance base camp;
- Full Board hotel in route in Tibet: Lhasa, Sigatse, Tingri (B/L/D) (provided by CTMA);
- Food during expedition period for expedition Members and Staff;
- Tibet Visa and Travel Permit for expedition crew;
- Expedition Permit to climbing Cho Oyu along northwest ridge route;
- Airport pickup and drop service
- A government licensed climbing Sherpa Sirdar during trekking and climbing period.
- Necessary porters during the trekking and climbing period.
- Necessary transport by bus.
- Government Legend officer
- All trekking and climbing equipment’s like kitchen tent, storage tent, dining tent, client tents, toilet tents, tables, chairs and cooking utensils.
- Climbing equipment’s Rope, ice bars, ice screws, oxygen mask, regulator, Gamow Bags and snow bar.
- All meals three times a day (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Accommodation at tea house and tent during the trekking for you and Nepali staff.
- Daily weather forecast services
- Emergency Helicopter rescue insurance for Nepali staff.
- Medical consultation services by HRA clinic during climbing.
- Satellite phone for communication.
- Emergency Mountain Medical Rescue Insurance (Provided by your insurance company please buy in your country, you could not buy in Nepal)
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu.
- Personal expenses
Personal Climbing Equipment List
- Seat Harness
- Ice Axe
- Locked and unlocked carabiner
- Climbing boots
- Pocket knife
- Wollen gloves
- Gloves(gore tex fabrics)
- Wollen hat
- Wollen socks
- Windproof jacket
- Windproof pant
- Snow bar
- Snow goggles(UV factor)
- Sun cream(UV protection)
- Head lamp
- Rain gear
- Ice hammer
You can also hire(rent) all the above mentioned climbing equipment from here in Kathmandu. Our climbing guide will help you to go one of the equipment stores and select necessary equipment.